Sunday, April 29, 2012

Nostalgic Reflections....

Walking around the art school yesterday, I realised the transition that it is about to happen, and it suddenly hit me, this is going to be my last week as an art student. These reflections were even more emphasized when I saw all the new applicants picking up their portfolios. It just gives you the sense of the complete cycle, people coming and going, people ending their journey as others begin theirs....
                                                                   ~

The whole of the Crawford building has now been stripped out and all the studios are empty. Everyone is getting ready to move to their final space. I have been in mine for a while now, so for me the transition has been more progressive and perhaps that is why I have been so relaxed, but I suddenly realised that it is actually going to happen, I am going to graduate. It never occurred to me how quick time was going to pass, and now I am about to face the very last jump in this process. It's a strange time, because it is like waiting for something that you knew was always going to happen, but now that you can see it in the distance, it makes me feel slightly anxious...I'm about to end a journey....




This has been for sure my best year. Moving out of the Time Based Art studio and getting to share a space with other practioners has been the place where I've learnt the most in my whole time here. I have loved the merging of art + media and being able to move around more freely....This year has opened everything up and I have been able to grow inside it. I have to say that I have found my whole art school experience very challenging. It's been a difficult journey, in which I have had to learn to be my own mentor and to truly face myself...


But it has been a journey that has transformed me, and helped me to find where I want to go in life and who I want to be....both personally and as an artist. The wonderful thing about Duncan of Jordanstone is the diverse group of students, they are a really good bunch of people and I really look forward to seeing and hearing of where they go...
I have to say 2009 feels like a long time ago, but there is still so many things I would like to do here. Its a good feeling though. As anxious as I am, I am also extremely excited. I was speaking to Bec about it and she said it was more like the beginning of a journey, and I think she is right. This is just the beginning of all of our careers as artists, our first exhibition...I feel really lucky to have my own space. I really hope that it all turns out ut wonderfully. This will be my first ever exhibition, my first public projection....Now, all I can think of is the show, it is an amazing opportunity and I hope that something good comes of it, even if it just sharing my work with other people. That is what I look forward to the most....and then a good holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment