Saturday, April 14, 2012

This week...




This whole week has felt extremely slow. I think having a three week holiday right before the assessment is ludicrous. I am finding it very hard to stay focused and motivated in a space that is abandoned and where there are very few faces to find. I have to say that my work feels as though it has come to a stand still,  and I am currently in a limbo waiting for things to come and yet I have so much to do...

It is starting to make me nervous, because it just means that the the last two weeks of semester are going to be hell. I know the minute the holidays finish and the college opens, everyone will crawl back in all at once and there will an eruption, and there is still another week to go, but on the positive side, I have done some productive things. Now with my plans in and the materials ordered, I am hoping that my wood will arrive next week! This means that I will be able to begin constructing my space and that will help me feel a big leap and step forwards to the show. In some ways it still feels like a long way away, but soon it will all be there, in the space and becoming something; the show that I have been envisioning for so long.

Its not all been bad, I have done quite a lot of small yet vital things, they are just more invisible and less easy to merit. I have finally set up my arduino, with the help of my great friend Peter, who sat with me for an afternoon setting up the pir sensor to the arduino and then trying to connect it to max msp. We still haven't quite managed to link it up to max msp yet, but I am hoping that Sean might know how to, so I have emailed him to arrange a meeting for when he gets back next week.  I have also managed to get my order into Graeme for my metal tubes. I have ordered 5 more 13cm wide, 1 metre hight tubes. I got one this week and its huge, I think it is going to pretty overwhelming having 6 in the space. I now also know that I definitely have the 6 powered speakers for the show, which is a relief! So technologically, everything is going pretty well.

During the break I have also been working on two books to go with my supporting material and that will also perhaps be on display for the degree show. I am making one called 'Human Resonance', which follows my journeys through Orkney, the Hamilton Mausoleum and Rosslyn Chapel and specifically tells my experiences of spiritual and sacred spaces. I am then also making a smaller one with a collection of all my performances, mostly exploring spaces around in Dundee. Things are moving slowly, but I still have so much to do, including probably the most important of all the different aspects of my final show, to create the sound experience. I am going to focus on that over the next few days, and try and work with all my different recordings to create something magical. The experience inside the space has to be wonderful and completely overwhelming, as it will be the sculpting of the experience that will define my show. It needs a lot of time to do, so I think one that is finally finalised I will be able to feel more relaxed...

No comments:

Post a Comment