Thursday, April 26, 2012

My sound piece...


This week I have been focusing on making the sound piece for the space. For the sonic aspect of the show I have been working with my recordings from the Hamilton Mausoleum, which have the most reverberance and also represent the site in which I had my strongest and most influential experience of resonance. I have been working with it on pro tools, cutting it up into sections and placing it into 6 different channels, playing with the notes and tones. It has been a difficult process as I have had to envision the way the sound is going to move around the space through the pipes, and how the pipes are going to relate to each other in the space, without actually being there. It has been slightly tedious making a sound piece for a space when you are not inside it, the whole process has felt very disjointed and in some ways I wish I could just compose the piece there, live inside the space...
Because of this I am not yet been convinced that working with a recording from a different site is going to work. Because my recordings are site- specific, projecting them into a new space makes them feel fake, like an echo. I am basically re-projecting an experience, rather than making one for the space. To me it feels as though I am bringing something from the past into the present, and right now the sounds feels completely disattached from the space.
Today I had a tutorial with Holger and he said that he also feels that it is not quite jelling together. He told me 'that I have all the right ingredients, I just need to mix them better together', so after a discussion with Nilla I decided to take out some recording equipment out and to do some vocal experiments within the space itself.
Tomorrow morning I am going to go into the space and record inside it, building up a relationship to the space. Within it I want to explore it, play with it and feel it with my entire body. I think it is important that I create a dialogue with this specific environment, and that I have some form of exchange. I am also thinking of experimenting with my voice by singing through the pipes. Hopefully this organic and intuitive way of working will bring a new energy into the piece and take me in the right direction. I hope these experiments prove to be successful and lead me to urika moment in which everything magically comes together... This year has been such a wonderful and influential journey for me, and I really want to give it justice, all my discoveries, internal experiences, the spaces that have transformed me through them, all this I want to project back into my piece. I also feel like i have had to much support from different people, I also want to to do it for them, to create an experience where they can have their own journey, and exist inside the space through my voice...


No comments:

Post a Comment