Sunday, March 4, 2012

Suspended Singing Sculptures....





I have started to take a new direction for the final structure for my degree show. Since being told at the beginning of semester that my first proposal was too ambitious, I have now been working towards a new type of space, one that will give the same illusion and experience of immersion. The new structure will be suspended, and will become more sculptural than architectural. It will use less materials and will be made on a smaller scale. I have been in discussion with many tutors and technicians about this new concept and it seems evident that this is the best way for me to go and proceed. These are some sketches:






So this is my new direction for the project. Now I need to look to focus and look at different materials and decide how I want to construct it. The new shape is conical and takes inspiration from a bell, allowing the sound to travel within the space. Bells are also very musical as objects and I like the idea that this would encourage the audience to project into it. The piece will now take form as a suspended singing sculpture that will invite the audience to engage with it on a one to one basis, like entering the physical body of internal space....

No comments:

Post a Comment