Wednesday, March 21, 2012

RSA: New Contemporaries...


On Sunday, whilst visiting Edinburgh I went to see this years New Contemporaries exhibition at the RSA. There was some really interesting work and I was very impressed by the quality and scale of some of the pieces. I especially enjoyed the works of Holly E. Keasey who looked at the presence of water in the city, Neil Nodzak who created wonderful wooden boards that looked like 3-D sets, Clare Flatley who created an amazing black gate that stood at the entrance of the exhibition made from jesmonite, Andrew Mason with his sculptural ceramic piece that formed like a huge bathroom sink cleaning potatoes (I thought this was genius), then there was Mike McCallum & Tommy Stuart's 'Monument' which was made out of a steel mesh container that vibrated with transducers and other electrical equipment underneath it, it made these wonderful mechanical noises and sounds. There was also Rose Hendry's video pieces downstairs that had tremendous cinematography, aesthetics and creative vision, and finally Hannah Imlach with her Origami Shelters that were very visually beautiful. I think that all the work was very strong and I was impressed to see some fantastic large scale sculptural works. There was also a continuous sound piece, where an invisible voice sang projected through out the gallery, so it was really nice to see that a sound piece had been selected, it transformed the whole experience of the space. Both Duncan of Jordanstone & Edinburgh College of Art stood out to me as they where my two favourite colleges with the strongest pieces of work. After seeing the show I am not convinced that I will be selected for next year, but just seeing the level of work has been extremely inspiring and I feel much more motivated and excited about degree show...

Holly E. Keasey

Clare Flatley

Andrew Mason

Mike McCallum & Tommy Stuart


Rose Hendry

Hannah Imlach 


No comments:

Post a Comment