Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Wanderings at Roslyn Glen...

 "You inhabit it for a moment, but it inhabits you forever."

Over the weekend I visited Roslyn Glen as my final site to record in. This was very interesting, as I have previously been to the woods many times in my childhood, so it has been the first space I have gone to where I already have past memories and connections with. All the other sites I visited have been unknown, and therefore my dialogue with the spaces themselves have been completely influenced by this first meeting.In this case it was a very interesting to re-visit and to include my passed in this journey of resonance. In saying that, I have never actually entered the Chapel before, so the performance inside that was still engaging with it for the first time. I think there is a big difference between engaging with a space that you are familiar to and one which you are not, it is much easier to be aware of yourself in a space that is unknown because you are not used to existing in it. As well as projecting into the Chapel I also did a series of experiments in the woods to capture the outside space and the feel of nature. This was interesting as I realised that I feel my projections are very different when projecting outside to inside and in particular to being in an enclosed or open space. In an enclosed space I am much more directing my energy and channelling myself into its wall. In an open space the energy floats into different directions and is never contained or reflected back to me. 


The following day I returned to Roslyn to record inside the Chapel. I managed to gain access to the lower level of the Chapel which had a much more internal feel and a greater reverberation. Coming out of the spacel I wrote a small entry of how I felt after my performance....

I feel disorientated, like an inner energy has overcome me and I am radiating inside it. The silence is overwhelming and the sounds that come out of me are like natural notes. Vibrations all over my body, you take the space with you once you leave it, you inhabit it for a moment, but it inhabits you forever. We are the spaces that we live in, our internal dialogues echo through out the the walls and sometimes we can hear ourselves, our presence existence and soul. Space reveals us, it embodies and frees us, or inhabits and traps us. We move around constantly emitting energy into the earth and as an artist I believe we should encourage and to reveal that human presence as itself an art form. ~I feel overwhelmed with my experiences of space and what they have given me, which is a profound sense of self, of my internal space, of the invisible aspects of humanity, that we cannot see, but which we can feel through sound...Space reflects us like a mirror, yet it shows us our invisible image, it reflects our personal frequencies, our tones and echoes, our resonance....

It is very personal, like singing to your most deepest and unconscious self...

Listen with your whole body, not with your ears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment