Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Meeting Mel Shearsmith....


As part of the New Artist's Programme, Mary Modeen has invited performance and video artist Mel Shearsmith to come and speak with us next week...Mel Shearsmith is an artist that looks at movement in relation to our environment and how we respond and move in space. She has also made installation works, involving public participation that has allowed her to create more interactive and intimate experiences. As an arist, Shearsmith mainly works with the themes of the human body, site and langauge, which are all key themes wihin my project too. As part of her visit she has given students the opportunity to meet with her and have a 1-1 tutorial, which I think would be great as it would be a new perspective out with the small circle of art school. I have been in discussion with Mel this week and am really looking forward to meeting her and talking more in depth about the performative and live aspects of my project, especially in relation to looking at how to engage the audience and make them become part of the work. I hope that through meeting another artist who works within the medium of live art, I will be able to have a clearer idea of how I can bring my own experiences into a presented space tfor degree show...

No comments:

Post a Comment