Monday, January 16, 2012

Semester 2...


Now, with my dissertation finally handed in after an intensive month of being consumed by words, I am now free to focus and continue on my personal project...
This semester is going to the 'making' part of the year, where I construct my final piece for the degree show that will take place in May. I'm going to give myself some time at the beginning of the semester to continue looking at spaces and meet with different tutros to guide me and give me advice on how to build my final structure. I  also want to visit other existing sites with resonance as my trip up to Orkney proved to be very beneficial to my research. Possible sites to visit are the Hamilton Mausoleum, Hospital Field and Roslyn Chapel.In the spaces I will collect a series of recordings as a way to begin thinking of how I want the sound to form as part of the installation. I will have the first two months to do the final bits and bobs and then I shall have to make all the final decisions. In March I will focus on the construction, giving me a month and a half to construct my sculpture. I also need to start working out which materials I am going to use and understand how I am going to bring all the aspects of this project together. I also need to start thinking of where I want to exhibit it...The sculpture needs a space where it can be its own entity, to breathe as a living sculpture... Because of its size it is quite imposing so it needs to be in a very large space, and preferably on its own so it doesn't interfere with other students work. This week I am going to go scouting for suitable places and hopefully find something that will work.I also need to get in touch with Arthur Watson, a Fine Art tutor who I found out makes his own singing chambers, which is a great because he knows how to construct structures on the same scale I am proposing to do. This is the beginning of the end in many ways, my last semester at art school and I hope it proves to be challenging, engaging, motivating and transformative.

No comments:

Post a Comment