Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I'm going to Orkney!

After researching through all the possible locations for this project, I have finally decided to go up north and visit Orkney. I am really excited about my venture up there and seeing for myself what makes these spaces so overwhelming, not only for their sonic infrastructures but also for their historic presence. Orkney is the home to the finest examples of the Neolithic ages and is covered in ritual landscapes, so I will have a lot to see whilst I’m up there...


The Maewshowe Chambered Cairn, which will be the first Cairn that I visit, is supposedly one of the finest in Europe, and dates back to 3000BC. It is also known as the mound of wonders…All the Cairns were originally built as monuments for ritualistic and spiritual gatherings and spaces where the living and the dead could speak to each other. I am really hoping in my visit to find something within the chambers that traces back to this energy from the times when the Cairns were used as sacred tombs. The acoustics within the Cairns explore the resonance of human ritual and interaction and it is exactly this that I want to focus on for this project. The Cairns will shape and become the base to my performance so I am very interested to see how the outcome to these sound pieces reflect back on the space and how the space itself will physically affect my projection within it...




No comments:

Post a Comment