Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LOVE DANCE @ The Fringe...

LOVE DANCE

'Once Removed'...



Once Removed was a great show and the last that I saw of the Love Dance Programme...I felt the choreoraphy of the show explored the nature of male & females and encompassed a very dynamic and intense connection between the dancers...
The dancers were both grounded in what looked like an abstract nest- the stage was marked out with tape on the floor and they moved around the markings, like animals. I really enjoyed this show becuase it incorporated many different mediums, including elements of live visuals and sound.

'When We Meet Again' ...


"The first time we met, you could see me, but I could not see you"...
When We Meet Again was an immersive performance piece, that allowed the audience member to become the performer... I was welcomed into an empty room and given a pair of goggles that had a screen inside them. Then a set of headphones were placed on my head, which made me feel completely isolated from everything and very aware of my body within the space....
As both my vision and sound was lost, my percpective was gone and through the screen inside the goggles I was transported into a completely different mind. There was a mini film playing in the goggles, and through the headphones a voice guided me through the performance. The scene played meeting a woman, and as you went on the journey of the character you had been given, you lost complete sense of yourself...
There was a moment where I danced with the women in the performance. I could not see her, only feel her pressense, and the intimacy of that moment made me realise how wonderful it is to feel a Performance rather than see it....
When the performance ended, the screen said 'If you are still here remove your goggles'...
I removed them, expecting to see the women, but she was not there, and again I was in the room alone. feeling completely overwhelmed and very disorientated.
This is probably the best performance I saw...


'Private Dancer'...


I went to see Private Dancer because Richard Layzell suggested I should come along after his performance workshop earlier this year...He & Janice Parker collaborated together on this piece. and it was themed on the concept of dancing alone, in the privacy of your own space, and it was Richard as the installation artist who created this space...
The show was beautiful...We were welcomed into a room and in the middle was a wooden structure with little rooms formed inside it, and each room was inhabitted with dancers. The experience of the performance was really amazing, every time you moved around the space you experienced something completely different and as the performance unfolded, people were welcomed to venture into the rooms and have a private exchange with the dancers...
The show was very perosnal, I loved the fact that everyone in the room was experiencing something completely different, you could never see the same thing twice and as you walked around the installation, you noticed that sometimes you were being followed, other times watched, other times there was no one there and you were just surrounded by dancing shadows...It was a very magical piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment