Tuesday, June 8, 2010

FACE YOURSELF-Overview of my artistic direction...

My direction in art, is still very unclear to me...I feel that this year has led me to begin to understand where I want ot go within my practice, and what I want my work to represent, yet I am still not sure of how to approach my conceptual ideas and conduct them together to create a final peice of work...

I feel that I need to stop thinking of myself outside of my ideas, and see me as part of them, or the ideas as part of me...It is hard for me to percieve myself as the creator of something, or the focus of what I am doing, as I want to get away from that whole notion of the 'artist' and to actually use my art to engage with other people so that they can explore themselves through the work...

I am very interested in Performance Art & Live Art, both being mediums that involve physicality and the engagement with the human body...I feel these mediums help us to look at our pressense and essense within space and to enagage ourselves with our surroundings...
I feel the next step within my practice is to experiment within these mediums and to explore myself through them, yet I am finding approaching both Performance & Live Art very hard as I feel I am still very unsure of how to express myself within these mediums.
I think it is because I still dont the confidence or courage to just let go and explore my concepts, allowing my ideas to evolve and expand physically as experimental performances...

I overall feel very disenganged with the process of performing, and of how my pressense within the performance is going to affect the art form and engage with the audience watching...
I don't want to stand as an artist alone, I am very much about being a part of a collective pressense in which the dynamic energy of the group is what creates the performance and allows the audience to engage and become part of the collective themselves...

The main themes I want to explore in Performance Art are; People~ and the way they move through space, the way we express ourselves, the way we relate to one another, our physcical & emotional self, our social identity-the self, the image of the self, our presense, and our own self awareness...

I hope this summer I will evolve from being in this not so much mental block, but physical block, of not really knowing of how to flow my ideas into physical movements...
I hope to interact and collaborate with many other artists... I feel that through these collaborations and exploring Performance & Live Art with one another, will help me to let go and begin to understand how I can make art freely, enaging with both concept and the physicality of performance...

No comments:

Post a Comment